The Exchange Club of Lake Highlands is an affiliate of the National Exchange Club. The original purpose of “Exchange,” which continues today, was to create grass roots organizations for the exchange of ideas leading to community involvement and enhancement in the Lake Highlands area of Dallas, Texas. This objective has been refined over the years to focus on the prevention of child abuse and a broad array of youth service, citizenship programs and community services, including the area schools and Family Compass.
Our Activities and Accomplishments
• Over the past 5 years, we have awarded over $500,000 in college scholarships to Lake Highlands students who demonstrate both need and achievement; scholarships are either funded by the Club or privately donated and administered by the Club. In the past 12 years, the Exchange Club has awarded over $1,000,000 in college scholarships.
• Leadership and financial support of the Dallas Child Abuse Prevention Center.
• Youth of the Month and Youth of the Year Awards – Recognition of Lake Highlands High School graduating seniors, along with their parents and mentoring teachers, who have excelled in academics, leadership and school and community service.
• Monthly “Character Counts” Award in recognition of Lake Highlands High School young men and women, as well as their parents and mentoring teachers, who display strong character traits as a vital part of their daily routine, whether at school or in the community.
• A.C.E. (Accepting the Challenge of Excellence) Award to graduating seniors of Lake Highlands High School who have faced adversity during their school career and have accepted the challenge by overcoming the adversity(s) and have made themselves into a positive force within their community(s).
• Young Citizens Awards presented annually to deserving elementary school and junior high students.
• Teacher of the Year Awards, which include public recognition and cash honoraria, rotated on a three-year cycle among the elementary schools, junior high schools, freshman center and high school within the Lake Highlands Attendance Zone of the RISD.
• Quarterly recognition of outstanding Police Officers and Fire Fighters who are serving the Lake Highlands community.
• Quarterly recognition of a person from within the Lake Highlands community who has/is serving their community in a very positive manner yet without much fanfare, i.e., is an “Unsung Hero”.
• Provide tutors/mentors for elementary, junior high and high school students in the Lake Highlands attendance zone.
• Provide emergency clothing, medical and dental funds to assist area children and their families through trying, unexpected emergencies.
• Provide Freedom Shrines at area educational and social institutions that display many of the fundamental documents of our democratic heritage.
• Sponsor, manage and coordinate community events such as the Lake Highlands’ Independence Day Parade and Carnival, Lake Highlands Oktoberfest, Lake Highlands Community “Safe Halloween” Carnival, Lake Highlands Evening of Jazz Under the Stars, and a Christmas Gift Program for families-in-need.