The Exchange Club has been providing scholarship awards to graduating Seniors at LHHS for many years. Last year, the Club presented awards totaling approximately $162,000 to 54 students. We have given over $1,700,000 in awards over the past 20 years. Much work is put into this effort to select the deserving students. This year, Chris Brown is our Scholarship Director and he has organized committees to review the applications, interview the finalists and make the award selections. At LHHS, Mrs. Robin Finklea will be coordinating this effort and getting the applications to the interested students. There are awards for academic achievement, working students, memorial awards, etc.
The money for these awards comes from the following–
- The funds for the academic scholarships are raised primarily from our Oktoberfest and Auction/Casino party fundraising events.
- The Luck Family Foundation provides funds for the Luck Family scholarships.
- A number of individuals, both within and outside the Club, provide the funds for the memorial scholarships and working student scholarships.
The criteria for selection are as follows:
- The Luck Family scholarships are based on criteria established by Eric and Cheri Luck.
- Working students and memorial scholarships are selected by a committee chaired by Ted Steinke.
- The Academic Scholarship committee is chaired by Chris Brown. He will be assisted by Tommy Bailey, Jason Binford, Travis Brown, Jason Edgerton, Dwight Fletcher, Brian Hasenbauer, and Ric Mosely. There are usually about 75 applications for these.
On January 30, Eric and Cheri Luck, Ted Steinke, Mike Mahurin, Travis Brown, Tommy Bailey, and Dwight Fletcher will make a presentation to the LHHS Senior class to explain the Exchange Club ‘s various scholarships, including the criteria we use to award scholarships and the nuts and bolts of the application and interview process.
Here is the timeline for 2017:
- March 2 (4:00 p.m.) – Deadline for receipt of the applications in the Counselors office
- April 6-7 – After the applications are reviewed, the finalists will be interviewed by the committees
- Last week in April – Award recipients will be announced and notified
- May 11 (Thursday) – Senior Awards night at LHHS – award recipients will be recognized
- May 19 (Friday) – Exchange Club Scholarship awards breakfast
This is one of the most important projects that the Club undertakes each year. That is why all members need to participate and work on our fundraising events.